Sunday, September 4, 2011

La Ruta De Los Conquistadores

Umm... So I signed up for this mountain bike race in Costa Rica. Did I mention that I haven't been on a mountain bike since 1993? And in this race there are 4 stages, approximately 240 miles, a volcano, and somewhere North of 35,000 feet of climbing. Did I mention that for 9 of the  12 weeks prior to the race I will only be able to train on a M3 Keiser stationary bike?

OK, enough excuse building. Its going to be tough. Major understatement, I know.

My girl is my biggest fan, believer, and the future source of my demise. But I love the hell out of her. Initially her and I were just going to vacation in Costa Rica and support a couple friends who are doing the race. But one day, while chatting, Sherri comes from the top rope, "I want you to do the race...." "HAHAHA! You so funny", I said. But then I realized she was serious. So before she saw me for the wuss that I am, I agreed. She promptly started giggling with joy and clapping. All the while I am forcing a smile, when in reality I wanted to vomit. Now here I am training for the "toughest race on the planet". Those aren't my words, that is what the race bills its self as. And from looking at the elevation profile I ain't one to argue.

When it is all over, the endless hours on the stationary bike, the bananas, energy drinks, volcanoes, mountains, mud, hike-a-bikes, brake burning descents, railroad bridges, and of course the climbing, will all be worth it. Because I know Sherri will be there smiling, giggling, and clapping like an idiot as I limp across the finish line every miserable day.


My bike I found Craigslisting a couple of weeks ago.

La Ruta

No comments:

Post a Comment